Thursday, June 16, 2016

Under African Skies-Paul Simon

While I’m way behind on my semester two day to day updates, I thought I’d pick back up with a kick off to summer.  I’ll be spending three weeks in Rwanda and Uganda through a program called Global Education Allies.  This program brings together teachers from the U.S., Finland, Rwanda, and Uganda in order to connect educators and students through partnership programs that develop global awareness and foster innovative learning environments.


Because the program was organized, and because my job was so hectic this spring, I spent very little time preparing for the trip aside from planning my packing and making sure I had enough diabetes supplies, gluten free food, etc.  In fact, I have never left for a big international trip with such a lack of preparation beforehand.  Lesson learned-plan ahead and be flexible!   After traveling over 30 hours, we arrived in Kigali, Rwanda a little bit after seven at night.  One thing I love about landing in developing countries is the line of people holding signs with names on them at the airport exit.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t a sign with our names…so we waited…and waited….and waited.  Finally after over two hours, nearly ten o’clock, Michael made friends with some hotel shuttle drivers and found us a room at a local hotel.  Of course, by the time we got there we had an email from our program but at that point we decided to just go to bed and meet up with them in the morning.  It felt so good to finally get to sleep-all cozy in our mosquito nets.

No comments:

Post a Comment