Saturday, June 18, 2016

Rains Down in Africa-Toto

I woke up in the middle of the night to an intense rain storm.  It was downpouring so loudly I could hardly fall back asleep.  I just not believe how hard it was raining-although I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since we were in a rain forest.  I got a little nervous because we had driven through a lot of road construction that was now most likely a mud pit.

We took off a bit later than expected due to the weather but once our luggage was all covered with a tarp and tied down in the back of the pick up, we were off.  The road was pretty muddy for the first hour and a half.  There were a few times I was afraid we might not make it up a hill or might get stuck but miraculously we made it to a paved road with only a few spin outs.



Trying some fried crickets as a snack
Along the way we stopped a few times for snacks and gas.  It’s always so interesting to watch the countryside.  One thing I find really interesting here is all of the political campaign ads posted around.  The government is known for being pretty corrupt; although, the president did recently win re-election a few months ago.



I always like taking pictures of shoe stores in other countries.
 
Houses with an "X" will be demolished because they are too close to the road















After a pretty grueling 9 and a half hour journey-and serious traffic jam around Kampala, we finally arrived in Mukono where we’ll be staying for the next week.  During our time here we’re working with local organizations and schools and we joined our Ugandan partners for an introductory dinner before heading off to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment